San Antonio, TX – A rising social media personality from Texas is now behind bars after being accused of committing murder in a case that investigators say was fueled by an alleged $31,000 financial dispute. The shocking crime has drawn national attention, not only because of the brutal circumstances but also due to the suspect’s digital trail on TikTok.
TikTok Star Turned Murder Suspect
Authorities identified the suspect as 23-year-old Naqibullah Habibzoi, a TikTok content creator with more than 20,000 followers. He was arrested on August 21 and charged in connection with the May 31 killing of 34-year-old Awal Noor Kiftan, a former co-worker from a trucking company, according to the San Antonio Express-News.
Court documents revealed that the two men had once worked together, but their professional relationship allegedly soured when Habibzoi accused Kiftan of taking tens of thousands of dollars from him.
Social Media Posts Raised Red Flags
Investigators said Habibzoi openly discussed the money dispute on his TikTok account. In multiple posts, he reportedly accused Kiftan of withholding $31,000 and expressed a desire for retaliation. One particularly disturbing post read: “We never move on without taking our own revenge.”
These online statements, initially dismissed by some as social media bravado, later became crucial pieces of evidence once Kiftan was discovered dead.
Details of the Fatal Night
On May 31, police responded to reports of a shooting at an apartment complex on Dartbrook Drive in San Antonio’s Northwest Side. Kiftan was found lying outside his apartment, unresponsive, and pronounced dead at the scene.
According to KENS 5, a witness said Kiftan had received a phone call to meet a woman outside his apartment shortly before the shooting. The woman’s name, detectives later learned, was linked to Habibzoi. Gunfire erupted moments after the meeting, leaving Kiftan fatally wounded.
Investigators Trace the Suspect
Although Habibzoi denied involvement and even released a TikTok video claiming that his account had been hacked, investigators said evidence told a different story.
- Cell phone records and location data placed him traveling from Houston to San Antonio on the day of the killing.
- License plate readers captured his vehicle moving between the two cities.
- Detectives also obtained a recorded phone call in which Habibzoi allegedly admitted to the shooting, saying in Pashto that someone was refusing to return his money, so “he finished him.”
This combination of digital and physical evidence proved difficult for the defense to dispute.
Read Also: 6 Arrested in North Florida Online Child Predator Sting, AG James Uthmeier Confirms
Community Reaction and Broader Concerns
The case has shocked both local residents and the online community. Habibzoi’s followers expressed disbelief that someone with a growing platform could be involved in such a serious crime.
Experts say the case underscores how social media can both expose potential motives and provide key evidence in modern criminal investigations. Prosecutors frequently use posts, messages, and digital location data to establish timelines and intent, as in this case.
What Comes Next
Habibzoi is currently being held in custody as legal proceedings move forward. Prosecutors are preparing to present more evidence in upcoming hearings, and if convicted, Habibzoi could face life imprisonment.
The case also raises questions about how disputes escalate, especially when combined with the reach and influence of social media platforms.
What do you think about this shocking case where TikTok posts reportedly helped police connect the dots? Do you believe social media is becoming a dangerous platform for airing personal disputes? Share your thoughts in the comments on ibwhsmag.com.