Melbourne, FL – A 14-year-old Florida high school student and her father have filed a federal lawsuit against the Brevard County School Board, alleging the student was strip-searched multiple times and falsely accused of being impregnated by her father. The case raises serious questions about student rights, school policies, and the handling of sensitive allegations in schools.
Allegations of Strip-Searches and False Accusations
The lawsuit, filed by the student identified only as M.D. and her father, claims that school officials at Eau Gallie High School subjected M.D. to four separate strip searches. One particularly disturbing claim is that one of these searches was conducted in the presence of a male individual. The complaint states M.D. was forced to lift her shirt and expose her breasts during these searches, with some instances involving shaking to check for contraband, yet no contraband was ever found.
Adding to the gravity of the situation, the lawsuit alleges that on September 18, 2024, school officials reported to the Florida Department of Children and Families (DCF) that M.D. had been impregnated by her father, an accusation later disproven by a pediatrician’s report confirming that M.D. was not pregnant.
“District employees have never conducted strip searches, and we never will,” said Yvete Cruz, Director of Communications for Brevard Public Schools, declining to comment on other allegations.
Background: Racial Slurs, Retaliation, and Academic Impact
The controversy reportedly began in August 2023, when M.D. was a student at Johnson Middle School in Melbourne. Her father reported racial slurs and misogynistic comments directed at M.D. and other students, which he says the school failed to address adequately. After filing a formal complaint with the U.S. Department of Education against Brevard County Schools for an ongoing lack of action to protect students of color, the family alleges a campaign of retaliation followed.
- Teachers allegedly lowered M.D.’s grades without justification.
- One teacher reportedly made disparaging comments about the father.
- School staff allegedly spread false rumors about the pregnancy and molestation claim by interviewing other students despite clear medical evidence to the contrary.
The Role of the School and Official Responses
The lawsuit points to assistant principal Carrie Humphrys and other school officials as responsible parties. A letter from Principal Keith Barton admitted that in at least one incident, district policy was not followed regarding the conduct and supervision of searches. The policy requires searches be conducted by and in the presence of individuals of the student’s gender, a protocol the school apparently failed to adhere to.
Read Also: Ohio Father Charged After Leaving 1-Year-Old Shivering Alone in Car While Shopping at Aldi
Despite the father providing medical proof disproving the pregnancy rumor, school staff reportedly continued to question students, spreading the false allegation throughout the school.
For more detailed coverage, see the original report on People.com.
What This Means for Student Rights and School Accountability
This case highlights significant concerns around student privacy, dignity, and due process in educational settings. Strip searches by school officials are rare and heavily regulated, given their intrusive nature and the potential for trauma. Furthermore, the spread of unfounded rumors severely impacted M.D.’s reputation and wellbeing.
“No student should face strip searches without proper safeguards or be subjected to false and damaging accusations,” legal experts say, emphasizing the need for strict compliance with policies protecting student rights.
Key Facts at a Glance
- Student was strip-searched four times without parental notification.
- False pregnancy claim reported to Florida DCF leading to investigation.
- Retaliation alleged following anti-racism complaints filed by family.
- School admits policy breaches occurred during searches.
Looking Ahead
The lawsuit continues to unfold and could set a precedent for how schools handle sensitive student issues and protect the rights of minors. The Brevard County School Board’s response and any ensuing policy changes will be closely watched by parents, educators, and civil rights advocates alike.
What do you think about this serious allegation against Brevard County Schools? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

by